What to See in England
By Gordon Home
Public Domain Books
=How to get there.=–Trains from Victoria and London Bridge. By London, Brighton, and South Coast Railway. =Nearest Station.=–Arundel. =Distance from London.=–58-1/4 miles. =Average Time.=–2 hours.
1st 2nd 3rd =Fares.=–Single 9s. 2d. 6s. 0d. 4s. 8d. Return 14s. 10d. 10s. 7d. 9s. 4d.
=Accommodation Obtainable.=–"Norfolk Hotel,” “Eagle Inn," “Bridge Hotel,” “Granville Boarding House,” etc.
The interior of the castle is not shown to visitors without special permission from the Duke of Norfolk, the keep alone being thrown open to all on Mondays and Fridays between 12 and 4 P.M.–tickets being obtained at the Norfolk Hotel. The park, however, is open to the public.
The town of Arundel is one of the oldest and most beautifully situated in Sussex, that county of ancient towns, and its castle, a wonderful feudal fortress, was originally bequeathed by Alfred the Great to his nephew Adhelm. After the Conquest, it came into the possession of Roger de Montgomery, who rebuilt it, and in 1097 it was held for a short time by William II. It was at Arundel Castle that Adeliza, the widow of Henry I., entertained Queen Maud in 1139. The castle came afterwards to the Fitzalans, and from them by marriage to the Howard family, who still hold it. It was the object of several fierce attacks during the Parliamentary War, for having been captured by Waller and garrisoned for the Parliament, it was retaken by the Royalists under Lord Hopton, and soon after taken once more by Waller. The castle was much damaged by all these assaults, and was almost in ruins at the commencement of the last century, when it was taken in hand and restored by the then Duke of Norfolk. Of the ancient buildings, the keep, the entrance gateway, and parts of the walls, are all that now remain. The keep or Bevis Tower is an old Norman structure with walls 8 to 10 feet thick, having in the centre the castle dungeon, reached by a narrow staircase in the wall. The restoration was made as much as possible in conformity with the style of the old fortress, and the interior is a good example of modern Gothic art, the new chapel being an interesting example of this. The Baron’s Hall, with its open chestnut roof and stained-glass windows, is perhaps one of the most striking features in the castle.
A fine stone bridge of three arches connects the two portions of the town. It spans the river Arun, which is navigable up to Arundel for vessels of 150 tons burden.
[Illustration: Photochrom Co., Ltd. ARUNDEL CASTLE.
Built soon after the Conquest by Roger de Montgomery. It was much damaged during the Parliamentary War, but was repaired by a former Duke of Norfolk early in the 19th century.]